Prayers, Please!

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
Philippians 4:6-7

Hi friends!

I’m keeping this post short, as I’m feeling very poorly at the moment.

This week has been pretty bonkers! Tuesday I was in for a routine checkup at the GI clinic and swung by the hematology/oncology clinic to have my weekly labs drawn. Last week I switched home healthcare companies and I do not have a new nurse as of yet. So Wednesday Mom and I changed my central line dressing ourselves, only to discover a bit of greenish gunk on the site of my line. Greenish gunk is very rarely a good thing anywhere outside of a Nickelodeon television show, but it is particularly bad on a central line.

Consequently I headed back to the hem/onc clinic on Thursday for cultures and a precautionary dose of an IV antibiotic, and then I was sent home. The past couple of weeks I have sporadically been running low-grade fevers. But Thursday night I began having chills and feeling extra lousy a couple of hours after beginning my nightly TPN infusion, and I spiked a fever just over 101 soon after.

101 is the magic febrile number at which a person with a central line should go to the Emergency Room. So, that’s where we are! It’s quite possible that I have a central line infection. But my blood counts have plummeted since my labs were drawn on Tuesday, so we have to be very vigilant to be sure that this is not actually an HLH flare… Or even worse, a line infection triggering an HLH flare.

Any of these scenarios would be very serious. Please keep me in your prayers!

I am being admitted here at St. Louis Children’s Hospital. Hopefully we have caught whatever this is early and I will be out of here before long! My sweet Alice Eloise did not come along to the Emergency Room with me, but I am planning to have her right by my side tomorrow! I already miss her terribly.

At home I’ve been trying to sit Mom down to watch “Spice World” with me, but somehow she keeps evading my efforts. She has no idea what she is missing. But whenever she stays with me at the hospital it’s pretty close quarters! So I anticipate that some mother-daughter bonding time involving quality girl power entertainment is forthcoming!

Thank you for checking in… I very much appreciate your prayers!!!

Sarah Kathryn Frey

This entry was posted in HLH, Pain, Prayers, please! and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Prayers, Please!

1. Jeanne Frey says:

I’ll tell you what I want, what I really, really want. Sarah, you got me psyched about our date for the Spice Girls; but what I really, really want is to get you better and out of here. As you know (Rory) … where you lead, I will follow … and all you gotta do is call my name and I’ll be there, whenever, whatever, forever. And even though you are stuck with me as your roommate yet again, I think that you would agree that we make a pretty awesome team. Please get better soon sweet girl. I love you with my whole heart. Mom
    (Given that it is 4:00 a.m. in the E.R., I sure hope this doesn’t sound too goofy come morning.)

2. Judy Reese says:

Oh Sarah, I am so sorry to hear this news! Extra prayers will be said for you and your family. I know you will be happy to able to have Alice with you while you are getting treated. Get some rest and I know when you feel up to it you will be able to get your Mom to watch “Spice World”:) Love you! Judy Reese

3. Linda Rower says:

ok ladies…………….so the whole “Where you lead I will follow” cracked me up because that is Allissa and I’s “GO TO” show for when life is tough :) it makes us smile at Kirk’s enormous amount of jobs, Lorelai’s fast quips and Rory’s comebacks:) I have to say though darling girl that I would be wincing to have to sit through a spice girl episode :) Prayers for you both!!!

Hugs,
    Linda

4. Jo says:

Sarah,
    I am praying for you right now. Wish I could give you and your Mom a big hug. Having our office prayer group pray for you this morning!!
    Love to all!

5. Yvonne Rieger says:

Good morning Sweet Sarah! May God be with you and your medical team. Praying for a safe, productive (and short) hospital stay. Hugs :)

6. Cynthia Greene says:

Love you, Honey! Saying a prayer and thinking of you!

7. Amy Blood says:

I love you, darling. Get well soon. Praying for you and hoping that, at the very least, you get some quality entertainment in there soon!

8. Katie Wigton says:

Praying for you, hon!!!

9. Jenny says:

So sorry to hear read this news, Sarah! I will be thinking of you and praying for you. As always, if there is anything you need, please let me know. Get better soon sweet girl!

Love,
    Jenny

10. Dawn Merkel says:

Good morning Sarah,
    I’m so sorry your feeling so bad! I was praying that it wasn’t an infection! I pray that the doctors and nurses will take good care of you! I pray that you will be home soon! I pray that your Mom can rest, because there is nothing worse than seeing your child suffer. As Mothers we feel that we should be able to protect our children. But sometimes that is out of our hands.
    If your feeling up for visitors let me know. I can give your Mom a break. Please give your Mom my number. She can text or call me anytime. 618-792-2168.
    Take Care !!! I’m praying you will have a speedy recovery.
    Love, Dawn

11. Erin Pazderka says:

Sweet Princess Aurora, you are always in my thoughts and prayers. I love you and hope you get better soon! Spice World does work wonders on the recovery process. Finding Nemo too! That ones always my go to movie for sick days!

12. Cheryl Schnicker says:

Sarah, I am sending up prayers for you, for health, for comfort, for peace. For the Doctors that they have discernment and can identify and treat your issues in the best possible ways. For your family, that they have the strength to continue with their unwavering support and love for you. And for all of you that you continue the amazing trust you have in God and the knowledge that He is with you always.

I’m not sure how many people follow your blog; I hope many. You have become a beautiful example of Christian faith, strength in women, and a real role model for so many young women that need someone to look up to (I hope you know this).

I feel very blessed to have had you in my life during your high school years in youth group, and am so glad to have found you again.

Once you’re up to it, I’d love to visit and reconnect.

13. Rich Asperheim says:

Good Morning Sarah,

Thanks for the blog update. I will pray for you. Your faith and positive attitude throughout your journey has been an inspiration to me. I hope that your temperature comes down and the antibiotics eliminate the infection.

Rich

14. Praying for you, Sarah Kate! For the fever, possible infection, and for answers and healing.

Love, your sister in Christ,

Chanda

15. Judy McKillip says:

Sarah- You have been and always will be in my prayers. I have always believed in the power of prayer but in the events in my life this passed week my faith is even stronger. Extra prayers for you.-God will keep you strong. JUdy

16. Sue Giles says:

This day will be dedicated to you and God’ blessings. Love you .

17. You have my prayers, Sarah Kate. That was the perfect title to your blog, that started me praying for you even before I knew what was going on. I’m praying for your family and the medical staff, too, so they will have inspiration on how to act, whatever happens. “He shall give his angels charge over thee to keep thee in all thy ways.” — Psalm 91:11

18. Mitzi says:

Sarah – You are in my prayers, keep your positive thoughts and faith, you will be back home soon. God bless.

Mitzi Alemond

19. Jeannie Westerfield says:

So sorry to read you are back in the hospital. God’s blessings be upon you and all your family.

20. You got it, Sarah Kate. Keep us updated.

21. Astrid says:

I’m so sorry you may be having a flare. I don’t know what HLH is (I’m here via Invisible illness Week and you did say what it stands for but I’didn’t check whethe ryou explained what it is) but it sure sounds very serious. I hope you don’t have a central line infection either. Really praying that whatever this is, the doctors can treat it.

22. I will pray for you Sarah Kate. Hopefully The Lord Jesus Christ will listen to the prayers of all the people who love you, and will provide what you need for the benefit of your welfare. Please keep in mind my thoughts and my heart are with you, dear sweet friend.

23. Cindi says:

Hi Sara, You and your family are never very far from my heart and soul… Many of my friends; along with me, prayer for all of you on a daily basis! Please know that you are loved and thought of a lot!
    P.S. Eloise is a lovely, darling friend

24. Uncle Terry and Aunt Lesia says:

You are always in our prayers Sarah… hope to see you home soon!

Many prayers coming your way. Love Ya, Sue and Ruby

26. Joan Gusewelle says:

We’re putting out ALL THE PRAYERS we know for you!! Hope and pray you’re feeling better SOON!!!!