Overwhelmed but Blessed

Sarah’s paralysis began to pass after about 24 hours. We have seen this pattern several times now but this never gets any easier. It is so very painful for Sarah and emotionally scary and heartbreaking for all of us.

Returning home to the sweet love of Alice Eloise was an immense blessing. Those two little pups are truly lost without one another. Alice slept with Grandpa while Sarah was away but woke him in the night to go look for her, staring into her room and checking by the fireplace in hopes of finding her Mommy. Although Alice was thrilled to see Sarah, she instinctively knew that this was a time for very gentle love, and that is exactly the welcome home that Sarah received. The two cuddled and rested all evening.

This morning we are feeling overwhelmed. Once Sarah’s paralysis subsided, it became apparent that her “good” arm is now seriously impaired. She is unable to bend the elbow and her fingers are wanting to clinch up, much like her right side. We realize that we must be very proactive in addressing this as the impact is clear. We have contacted Sarah’s palliative care doctor in Cincinnati in hopes of going there because our options in St. Louis are not good. This presentation is dystonia/RSD like, and we are hoping that there may be some intervention to help.

While we sort all of this out, we are blessed, in awe, and thankful for God’s provisions. When Sarah was only seven years old, she grabbed the hands of the new girl at school as the class walked across the church parking lot to the Library. Sarah said to Amy, “let’s be friends” … and that as they say was that. Amy’s mom Donna just happens to be an amazing occupational therapist, and she has offered to come to the house to work with Sarah. Is God (and those He places in our life for love and support) not awesome!

Psalm 147:3 “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.”

For now, because of her arms, Sarah will not be able to post on her blog or participate in social media. I am certain that this will only be temporary as Sarah is a very resourceful and courageous girl and is already finding modifications to adapt. Last night she managed to read on her Kindle, using her nose to turn the page, all the while playing a somewhat pitiful game of fetch with Alice Eloise. Even though Sarah is unable to type right now, please continue to send your loving messages and comments. She could really use the encouragement, and we will be certain to read them to her. I will try to provide updates, but I can assure you that they will be a sorry substitution in contrast to Sarah’s creativity.

This is a picture of Sarah Kate and Alice Eloise taken a few days before this hospitalization, along with the message shared on their Instagram account. I thought it was cute and a happy way to end this post.

“Happy Sunday, friends! Could you please say a prayer for my mommy? She has to have surgery to get a new central line tomorrow morning. One of the few places that I am not allowed to go with my mama is the operating room… So please pray that those doctors do a good job taking care of her while I am not around to help!”

photo-30

We now must move on and work toward getting Sarah’s arm back to normal. Alice Eloise can’t wait until her Mommy is better and can again play Frisbee Fetch.

Thanks for caring and for all of the prayers.

Sarah Kathryn Frey

This entry was posted in Prayers, please!. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Overwhelmed but Blessed

1. Susan Meyer says:

God is faithful! And you are much loved! Hide in His wings and He will keep you! Prayers everyday for you!

2. Diana and Phil Weintraub says:

Continued prayers for you and your family.

3. Ed Bolton says:

We will keep amazing Sarah Kate in our prayers. She has brought so much joy and inspiration to us. May the Silver Linings continue to shine through.

Ed & Judy Bolton

4. Amy says:

Praise God that you’re home! Have you considered doing youtube updates instead in the interim? I’ll read the rest of the post later since I’m in class, but love you. Stay brave, sweetie. <3 I'm so glad that my mom gets to come visit you since I'm so far away. :(

Hi Sweet Sarah! Although I very saddened to hear this news, I trust The Lord will continue to heal. Our God is an amazing God and does amazing things. So hang in there my dear friend and know many prayers are being said for you. Stay strong and determined as God has you wrapped in his loving arms. I love you and will continue to pray for you and all your family! I wish I could have seen the reunion between you and your sweet doggie….I know that made you feel better :)
    Love and hugs to all the Freys
    Yvonne

6. Paul Selking says:

Sarah
    Your perseverance is unparalleled and you have some good parents to thank for that, but you can also reflect on Deuteronomy 31:6 “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Our daughter has chosen that as her Confirmation verse this coming spring and similar to you, is a freaky good writer, and always keeping Jesus Christ at the center of things. We can only pray that she grows up to keep that faith centered in the same way as you. Your in our prayers as we struggle to understand HIS plan.
    Paul Selking

Continued prayers coming your way. Glad you are back home with sweet Alice. Everything is better with a pup at your side :)

8. Bonnie Blasingame says:

Hi there Frye family!
    I hear that red heads never give up!!! So glad the paralysis has passed… Thankful that you always keep us posted so that we can put specifics to prayer. I’ll have Cade ask for prayer for Sarah at Good Shepherd tomorrow, and as always you will be in my AM and PM prayers, as well as in my daily thoughts. PICTURING God’s control, healing and overall love for you all. Persistent prayer. Repetition means doing the same thing over and over again, each time each time not giving up, and faithfully trusting God to turn all around for good!
    Much Love!
    Bonnie

9. Continued prayers for you Sarah Kate…so thankful that God provided a caring occupational therapist to help regain mobility in your arm. Love you sister!

10. Marla Klopmeyer says:

Hi, Sarah! I always enjoy your posts and the posts about you! I also enjoying hearing about Alice Eloise. Hope you feel better soon!

11. Jeannie Westerfield says:

You are always in my prayers. We pray for your recovery on God’s time which he will do. Blessings to you, your family and Alice Eloise.
    Thinking of you. :-)

12. Elliot says:

Great substitute post from mom! Thank you for the update, we are keeping Sarah in our prayers. Loved the part about Alice waking Larry… the furry children care about us more than we know!

Hoping for a speedy recovery,
    Ells, Mere and Hank

13. Kristen Wardlaw says:

Fight hard Sarah let God give you the strength! Love you and praying for you

14. Uncle Terry and Aunt Lesia says:

Sarah,
    Glad you are home. Sorry to hear you are having problems with your arm, but we’re confident that you will regain full use of it very soon.

Just being home with Alice should make the recovery go better.

All our Love and prayers!

Uncle Terry and Aunt Lesia

15. dianne griffith schubert says:

God bless you Sarah you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers

16. Betty Bashaw says:

Hi Sarah,

My prayers are with you. I’ve just learned of your story through my cousin, Lisa Frey. I’ve read your blog, and feel I know you.

Please know that I am praying for you and holding you close in my heart. Praying for peace, patience, joy, and HEALING! :-)

Loving you from afar,

Betty Bashaw

17. Bev Reeb says:

Sarah,
    You continually amaze and inspire me. I know you have had a tough road, but I also know that you have been given a tremendous amount of strength and obedience. Each time I read your blogs, I am truly blessed with how much God’s Glory shines through you. There are days when I feel my loss without Holly, but then I am reminded of you and how much strength you show us all. Our sermon today was about holding on to Christ,when things are tough. Each day Satan, tries to threaten our relationship with Christ and makes us think because we are hurting God doesn’t love us. But then the Holy Spirit, so wonderfully reminds us of God’s promises and love and how He gives us faith in Him, It is through our life that he blesses others. I am truly blessed by you and your family. Your mom means the world to me , and I want you to know that you are always in my prayers. Hang in there, I know that your faithfulness and gentle spirit will be rewarded. Love to all! Bev

18. Nancy says:

Sweet Sabrina – I stumbled upon your blog today when I was looking for Goldendoodle images and came across one on Etsy that was inspired by Alice Eloise. That wasn’t the only inspiration I found today though. Your courage, your beauty and your zest for life have inspired me and lifted my spirits. I wish you all the very best.

19. Carrie says:

Thinking of you Sarah! Gentile hugs and Healing thoughts.
    Carrie

20. Wendy and Skylar says:

We just wanted to let you know that we miss you and Alice Eloise. We think about you every day and you have our continued prayers. Get well sweet girl.

Love Wendy and Skylar xo

21. Farmette says:

I found this blog on your Instagram info page. You have been in my thoughts and prayers since your post before your procedure. I check Instagram to see if “you’re back.” I think others would like to know you’re improving and the sweet mentions of Alice Eloise’s tender, intuitive companionship!
    Blessings your way, and to the people all around you that love you!

22. Christina says:

Sarah Kate, missing your pics on Instagram you’re such a wonderful inspiration, and always lift my days with your photos of Alice Eloise and you. Glad you’re home with Alice Eloise and family! Thoughts and prayers to you!

Blessings to you,
    Christina
    ginger_bear

23. Aaron Key says:

Sarah,
    I’m truly touched by your story and inspired to see such unwavering faith. You give me hope and encouragement and I am grateful to you for that. Keeping you and your family in our prayers!

Aaron Key & Family

24. Emily Simcox says:

Prayers are being sent from Virginia!
    Sarah and all those surrounding her are a huge inspiration to me. I look at all the things I complain about on daily basis, all my childish worries, and Sarah makes me realize I can be stronger. Through God all things truly are possible. Through Him, though he works in mysterious ways, you will make it through this — and live in joy every day!
    I am stunned by Sarah’s beautiful outlook on life, expressed so vividly through her (fantastic!) writing. I can’t begin to imagine the paths she has traveled, and the pain she has endured so valiantly through our Savior.
    I don’t know why things work the way they do, but I know God has promised he will not push us past what we can endure. Sarah must be incredibly strong to be faced with such trials. I have all the faith in the world in her ability not just to pull through, but to continue to live an amazing , inspirational life and do great things that most people — healthy and not — only dare to dream of.
    Thank you Sarah, and thank you to all her family!

Christian love, Emily

25. Wendy and Skylar says:

Hi Sarah Kathryn. Skylar and I miss you tons. We say prayers for you all the time. Just wanted you to know that we are thinking of you and constantly check for any updates. Be well sweet girl.

Love Wendy and Skylar

26. Ja says:

Hi Sarah,
    We are friends on IG. I just wanted to stop by and say hi. I miss your pictures. Hopefully each day brings something positive and you will return soon. Take care of yourself and give Alice Eloise a kiss from her retriever friends on IG.

Ja
    Florida

27. Pingback: Guess Who's Back! - Sarah Kate's Silver Linings

28. Katie Rogers says:

Sarah, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I just read your blog and got caught up on your situation. I’m so sorry you are having such a difficult time right now! When I was reading your history, I felt like you and I shared some similarities…..in my 20s, likewise I was very sick….severe gastroparesis, ehlers-danlos syndrome, cardiac arrest, pacemaker, vasovagal syncope, j tube with 24hr feeds, osteoporosis, and now RSD/CRPS. I’m sure I forgot something….when we have histories like this, it makes you wonder what is the cause of it all? What came first? Did we have an underlying condition that was the cause of all of this? Despite everything we have been through, we both never gave up. You are a very talented writer. While you are not able to write right now, I know you will find a way to communicate your message to others. Maybe you could get a voice program that types words as you say them….that would eliminate the need to type. You are such an inspiration! I just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers. I hope that the paralysis resolves, and you regain function of your arms again!!! Hang in there!! Take it one day at a time. May the silver lining continue to shine through!!!!